- Remove the grass in a ring around the base of the tree extending as far as the drip line.
- Cover the open area with landscaping fabric and add organic mulch.
- Some plants and trees will benefit from a slightly acidic mulch. A sufficient layer of mulch is approximately 3" deep. Use less in wet areas of if drainage issues exist. When mulch already exists refrain from adding more if there is already sufficient coverage. Simply turn over the mulch to renew the look. Avoid placing mulch against the tree and root bulb.
- Finish the project by defining the edge with a shovel or adding edging such as stone or brick. Thoroughly water newly installed hardwood mulch.
- Feel free to extend the mulch ring over the years as your trees grow
Have you been thinking about some outdoor projects this weekend? Here are some tree mulching tips from http://www.cents-ablesolutions.com. Here is an easy way to protect your trees from mowers and trimmers while promoting healthy growth. Create a mulch ring around your trees with the tips below: